Wednesday 6 July 2016

The Last Few Weeks

I am acutely aware that I have failed to keep this blog up to date over the past few months. I will partly blame this on a lack of access to computers (both while on my 7 week tour of North India and at Devnar as I can't work the systems in the computer lab without a computer mouse- something that the kids can't use and, therefore, don't have). On top of this, as I've become so accustomed to festivals, programmes, visits, poojas etc, I have felt less of a need to write about them. While it once might have seemed important to ramble on about the weather (45 degrees or the monsoon, for example) and how I deal with it now feels like a comparatively mundane information; something that is simply part of day-to-day life.



Excuses aside, I can't not acknowledge that my time at Devnar is nearly over and I should, therefore, write something here.


Since coming back from our 7 weeks Summer Tour last month, life at Devnar has been lazy and hectic at the same time. Mornings passed chatting with Manjula in the library and helping with the new LKG class consisting of two of the most adorable little boys in Devnar. Our official work load has reduced considerably so afternoons are now spent taking the odd English lesson and busying myself with my Community Project- an assignment needed for me to complete my OCN Global Citizenship and Volunteering qualification. Evenings have become my favourite time of day and are characterised by the monsoon rains, frequent power cuts and hours of what Lottie and I refer to as "Office Hangs"- namely sitting in the school's office, chatting to each other, Padma, Warden Sir, students and whoever else also finds themselves waiting on the red sofa bench. I will often sit downstairs with my students until late into the night, long after the wardens have gone to bed and the offices have been locked up, chatting about England, India, the future, the school and so much more. While my official role here has been 'English Teacher', living at Devnar has meant that I feel less like I am a member of staff and more like I have gained 500 or so little brothers and sisters. As such, I have been enjoying these last few weeks with them as their sister meaning more games of tag, cuddles, sneaking them sweets from outside and even midnight water fights.


I feel like it's going to be near impossible to explain how close I've become everyone here and how at home I feel in a place that was, at first, fairly alien. People who started off strangers are now close friends and, not only that, but I have spent enough time here to feel like every friendship I've made is a meaningful, reciprocated one. I don't want to be too cliche, but I really am grateful that I got this Project; it's consumed my life completely and I am devastated that my life here will be coming to an end in just a few days. Irrespective of my upset, the 18th will inevitably roll around so I plan to make sure the next few days are filled with as many giggles, jokes and hugs as the past few weeks have been. "Full enjoy!" as they say here.








No comments:

Post a Comment